Don't Let The Start Stop You

  I read a quotation some time ago that is well worth repeating, “It’s the start that stops most people.” I believe the thought behind the quote is the fact that people have great ideas, but haven’t acted on them yet. But, as soon as they start taking action, they discover that it is much more difficult than they anticipated. This results in them becoming a non-starter.

  Don’t be the person who has the idea to start, but when you start, you find that it involves more work than you expected and you decide to quit. Consider the possibility that if you push through, that you may fulfill that dream you have had for a long time.

  You may remember basketball great Michael Jordan. During his heyday, a saying was coined through much television promotion, “Be like Mike”. He was the most decorated basketball player in his time. He appeared in numerous television commercials, including shoes that bore his name. They were called Air Jordan’s. Mike also appeared in movies. Anytime you would turn on your television or opened a magazine, you saw an image of Michael Jordan.
  
You may think that Michael was a childhood prodigy. Let me burst your bubble! He wasn’t! I don’t have the space to tell his story here, but I can let him tell you in his own words. “When I got cut from the varsity team as a sophomore in high school, I learned something.  I knew I never wanted to feel that bad again. I never wanted to have that taste in my mouth, that hole in my stomach. So I set a goal of becoming a starter on the varsity.” Consider what that incredible disappointment brought into his life. It caused him to be a champion that was known all over the planet. It caused a determination to rise up on the inside of him.

  
What about you? Have you been disappointed after putting a lot of effort into something that you thought was a sure thing, but it didn’t work out? Be like Mike! Push through! If you have the taste of defeat in your mouth, wash it out! Set a goal. Do the work that it will take to get past the disappointment. Don’t let the start stop you! Be like Mike, get past the disappointment and become everything you are destined to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your Thought Life

Healthy Eating Ideas

Purpose